Who I've Always Been Forum - Your Source for Rare Songs!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Source for Rare Songs!

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Shake It Off Acoustic studio version?
1989 Review EmptyWed Jul 19, 2017 3:53 pm by Fearlyssa

» 1989 leak question
1989 Review EmptySat Oct 29, 2016 3:40 am by Fearlyssa

» 1989 world tour videos and audio??
1989 Review EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 4:08 pm by [wonderstruck]

» Who do you think the songs are about?
1989 Review EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 10:04 pm by Haunted

» Style video
1989 Review EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 4:19 pm by CatKearns23

» Blank Space is the next single!
1989 Review EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 9:59 am by Signe

» 1989 Review
1989 Review EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 1:45 pm by Fearlyssa

» Welcome To New York!
1989 Review EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm by Fearlyssa

» 1989 One Week Album Sales
1989 Review EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 12:55 pm by Fearlyssa

You are not connected. Please login or register

1989 Review

+5
Kate
Fearlyssa
sbsp92
13ack to December
Sunnified!
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11989 Review Empty 1989 Review Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Sunnified!

Sunnified!
trying to find a place in this world

So, the album comes out tomorrow (legally) and I thought this would be a good thread to start. I know some people have chosen not to listen to the leak and will hear the album for the first time tomorrow, so I won't say anything until then either. But once you all get to listening, feel free to post your thoughts and feelings here and we can all have a chat about it Smile

21989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:41 pm

CatKearns23

CatKearns23

It's released now on iTunes! I haven't listened to all the songs yet, but Blank Space and Style and This Love are my favorites so far!

31989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Kate

Kate
you're tied together with a smile

Alright it's been officially released for 19 minutes here so I'm going to give my brief-ish review of the album.

Welcome to New York: I think this is the best beginning song to an album she's ever had. It's so happy!
Blank Space: The verses are a bit odd with the rhythm, but I definitely like this song.
Style: I really enjoy the guitar in the beginning and I like that even though they broke up, Taylor made all the songs about Harry nice songs and not all like "it's all his fault" it's more like "we broke up, but I had fun" type of a feeling and I like that.
Out of the Woods: I love it. It's my most listened to song off of 1989 so far.
All You Had To Do Was Stay: Sounds like it should be at a sad part in a teen movie.
Shake It off: Great party song, obviously not her best work.
I wish you would: I like the intro and chorus a bunch.
Bad Blood: I do not like this song. I like the bridge, but that's it. It has a weird sound to it and I don't like the flow of it.
Wildest Dreams: Lana Del Rey-ish vibe to it. This is my favorite of the slower songs.
How You Get The Girl: MY FAVORITE IT'S LIKE MINE/SPEAK NOW/YOU BELONG WITH ME WITH AN 80S VIBE AND I ADORE IT!!
This Love: Probs my second favorite of the slower songs. It'll grow on me fo sho.
I Know Places: I really like the vibe of this song, like how it's dark during the verses but it's like the sun peaks through the clouds during the chorus and I think the lyrics are amazing.
Clean: I've never been a fan of songs with the sort of rhythm that's in this song. I do like the lyrics, but I don't like the beat. It's just a boring to me.
Wonderland: I love the Alice in Wonderland references!
You R In Love: Ehh, not sure about this song. The chorus is weird to me. I like it better than Bad Blood, but it's not my favorite.
New Romantics: I absolutely adore the chorus! I just really like this one. It's in my favorites.

So, in conclusion, my favorites (so far) are: OOTW, I Know Places, New Romantics, and How You Get The Girl. I really wasn't impressed by Bad Blood, but I think it's because of all the hype that it's the new BTR, but I love BTR so it's hard to measure up in my opinion.

What's everyone else's thoughts??

41989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 am

13ack to December

13ack to December

i really like most of the songs on this album! i was a bit worried i might not like it since the 3 songs that were avalible before the album were not her best work, but the album as a whole is really great and most of the songs have taylor lyrics written all over them. i think my least favorite ones are how you get the girl and new romantics...
also for the bonus tracks i was waiting for well something diffrent. i thought it wouldn't sound that much like the tracks. Like she had all the lyrics pre written and she had already worked out the music so i don't really see the songwritting process there...

51989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

sbsp92

sbsp92
on the outside looking in
on the outside looking in

Welcome to New York: Very catchy and definitely a good album opener
Blank Space: I love the silliness of this song. One of my favorites for sure! Smile
Style: I really like the chorus and it's a great song to blast in the car.
Out of the Woods: When this song came out it was exactly what I needed/could relate to.
All You Had To Do Was Stay: I like it but it's not one of my favorites.
Shake It off: It's catchy and it's good to blast in the car.
I Wish You Would: The into reminds me of another Jack Antonoff (the Bleachers) song for some reason.
Bad Blood: The song doesn't flow very well. I was a little disappointed because I hyped up the song a little bit.
Wildest Dreams: The effects on her voice reminds me of Lana Del Ray. I love the wistfulness of it.
How You Get The Girl: Something about this song doesn't mesh with me. :/
This Love: I was looking forward to this song but I'm not a fan of the chorus.
I Know Places: I love the intensity of this song! Definitely one of my favorites!
Clean: I absolutely ADORE this song! It's my favorite on the album. Who knew Imogen Heap and Taylor would mesh so well on a track.
Wonderland: I love the pre-chorus and the Alice in Wonderland references.
You Are In Love: Not a big fan of the music but I like the message. This song actually made me cry at "You keep his shirt, he keeps his word For once you let go of your fears and your ghosts" because I've never had this.
New Romantics: I didn't like the beat at all. Honestly, so far I listen to this song the least.

Songs I have on repeat ATM: Blank Space, Out of the Woods, I Know Places, Clean, and Wonderland

Last edited by sbsp92 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://rarescentral.bosfforum.com

61989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Sunnified!

Sunnified!

Welcome to New York – Honestly, I did not like this song. Or well, I don’t care for this song. If it comes on the radio, I’ll listen to it obviously. If I can, I’ll dance to it, sing a long, whatever. However, this is one of her weakest songs. It’s repetitive (which I’ve said I don’t like) and unfortunately auto-tuned, two things I didn’t enjoy. On the other hand, as a member of the LGBT community, it’s really nice to hear the pro-gay line in the song, and it’s great to know that Taylor is on my side and anyone else on this side of the fence  overall, 5/10

Blank Space – This was the first song I heard off of the album and I was honestly blown away by it. I love how dark and twisted and crazy she makes herself seem. And I love that the undertone of sarcasm is present throughout the entire song. Lyrically, I think its genius; very modern, very catchy, and yet still very Taylor Swift. I love this song, one of my favourites on the album, 9/10

Style: What I find really interesting about this song is how different it sounds in the preview in the target commercial and how it actually is. The whole thing flows together wonderfully and it’s a cute song. I love the line where she admits that sometimes she feels the same way (In the second verse). It goes to show that she knows she makes mistakes sometimes. I can also really relate to the idea. When I met my girlfriend, I remember thing she was like this bad girl with her short hair and leather jacket and what not and here I am in like a skirt and mascara. 7/10

Out of the woods – This song had to grow on me, but once it did, it was totally stuck in my head forever. I love how chaotic and visual the song is. Like I can actually see Taylor moving furniture with whoever *cough* harry *cough* and dancing but then panicking in her head about whether or not they’re okay yet. Lyrically, I think it could be better, especially in the chorus, but overall, 7/10

All you had to do was stay – This song is very simple. Like I don’t see anything special about it or the lyrics, but I really like it. The lyrics are sweet and the song is sweet. I love how it flows, I love how it’s still emotional, even though it’s really upbeat. 8/10

Shake it Off – Obviously this song has been around for a while. I love this song because it’s got a good beat, I can dance to it, sing along, whatever. It’s so fun and playful and obviously a radio hit. On that note, I am SO RELIEVED that the rest of 1989 sounds almost nothing like SIO. Lyrically, it’s weak and sounds like every other pop song out there. 6/10

I wish you would – This has to be the worst song Taylor has ever written, created, made, etc. I hate it. Like absolutely hate it. I don’t like the lyrics, the flow of the song, the chorus, the melody, nothing. It feels so rushed, doesn’t feel anything like Taylor at all. This might be the first and only song that I won’t put on my ipod. All of the songs on the deluxe edition could’ve easily replaced this one, especially Wonderland. 1/10

Bad Blood – I was kind of disappointed by this song because of all the hype around it. I expected way more than I got. I think people are either going to really like this song or not at all. The lyrics are kinda hit or miss. Sometimes, the emotions get across (Like the bridge for example) and sometimes it just seems like a high school drama (“Used to be mad love”). I also think it’s a little exaggerated. I am totally on Taylor’s side for the whole feud, but I think Taylor actually made Katy sound more evil than necessary. 4/10

Wildest Dreams - This is my Favourite Song on the album, definitely makes my top ten favourite taylor swift songs ever. I Adore it. I love it. I’m a big fan of Lana Del Rey as well, and this sounds very similar to “Without you” by LDR, so maybe I have a bias because that’s one of my favourite lana songs. But I Love the bridge, I love the music, I love how Dark and how weak she sounds to this handsome as hell guy. It’s incredible. 10/10

That’s how you get the girl – I really Like this song, and I knew I would when I heard the preview. I like how relatable the lyrics are; it’s not something unrealistic or even fairy-tale like, because if my girlfriend showed up at my door in the rain after a fight, I’d ask her if she was crazy too. I love how sweet it is, I love the beat, and it’s a good song, 8/10

This Love – I haven’t warmed up to this song yet, but the lyrics are very powerful. You can tell that Taylor wrote this song by herself, which I really like. I think my favourite part of the song is the bridge. I haven’t listened to it enough yet but based of the times I have listened to it, it’s good 7/10

I know places – I was kind of let down by this song. I liked the way the melody started up and the beat and how dark it was, but the lyrics disappointed me. I felt like she could’ve done so much more with the chorus. The verses are good, but still could be better. The best line is about foxes and hunters. 7/10

Clean – Hands down, the best song lyrically on the entire album. It is SO powerful, the lyrics are absolutely mind blowing. It’s so real and so raw, it almost makes me tear up because of how true the words are. I was a little disappointed by the bass in the song, I hoped it would get more drummy (Like blank space or something) but other than that, beautiful song 8/10

Wonderland – This song is wonderland. I love the references in the song, I love how she truly creates the picture of a relationship in this wonderland, that despite our beliefs, isn’t all that great or happy. I love how it’s so dark, yet so light at the same time, like there was nothing else she could do. It’s probably one of her most creative songs lyrically. 9/10

You Are in Love – I’m so glad it’s you ARE not R, just wanted to put that out there. The lyrics are so romantic, putting the letter R in wouldn’t do it justice. The lyrics hit really close to home for me, and personally make me feel really sad because the love she describes in the song is beautiful. For the topic and the title fitting together, 8/10

New Romantics – So a lot of people are hating on this song and I don’t know why. I think it is so different from anything that she has ever written. The lyrics are so carefree, and I think that this song is the best at getting the point across about Taylor not caring about boyfriends, but just about having fun. I love it, 9/10

Top 5 songs; wildest dreams, wonderland, new romantics, blank space, out of the woods

71989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:26 am

Sadie

Sadie

My favorites atm are Style, I Know Places, Clean, and I Wish You Would. I applaud Taylor for trying something new, but it definitely isn't her strongest album. Bad blood is eh and I really don't like How You Get The Girl... Like, what on earth is it even about? :/

81989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:12 am

Kate

Kate

Sadie wrote: I really don't like How You Get The Girl... Like, what on earth is it even about? :/

It's about how you get the girl...I thought that was pretty obvious...

But yeah, I get why a lot of people wouldn't like that song because it's definitely not her strongest. I think her strongest on this album are Clean, Out of the woods, and I Know Places. But the reason I love How You Get The Girl is because it's cute, fun to dance to, and the music reminds me of this tape I used to listen to all the time when I was little and I have no idea what it was but I swear I listened to that thing all day everyday.

I feel like How You Get The Girl is a bit like Starlight in that I feel like people either absolutely loved it or hated it. Starlight also wasn't her anywhere near her strongest on Red, but it was cute and magical, which is something I love about Taylor Swift songs that Red lacked in my opinion.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent...

91989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Fearlyssa

Fearlyssa
come feel this magic
come feel this magic

Sadie wrote:My favorites atm are Style, I Know Places, Clean, and I Wish You Would. I applaud Taylor for trying something new, but it definitely isn't her strongest album. Bad blood is eh and I really don't like How You Get The Girl... Like, what on earth is it even about? :/
She wrote it as advise to her guy friends and friends boyfriends as to how to get their girlfriends back after they've done something wrong and ruined the relationship and their girlfriend's won't talk to them anymore but they want them back because whatever they did to them was just a mistake. It's not about anything that happene to her, she's just basically giving love advice to people. It's fun but I don't like it as much as I did on the Diet coke commercial because it really doesn't have that personal touch like others do but it's cute. And Kate, was that tape The Little Mermaid? lol Because the title kind of reminds me of Kiss the girl from The Little Mermaid. haha My favorites are Blank Space, This Love and Clean and Wonderland and You are in love on the deluxe version. Blank Space is my favorite on the deluxe version and You are in love is my favorite on the deluxe version and the album as a whole because it's so sweet and awesome! I knew it would be a favorite because of the title but I didn't expect it to be so soulful! It makes me want to find a love like that even though I already have a boyfriend! lol Anyone who doesn't like it or I wish you would (which I actually really like but I agree there's something a bit off about how fast she sings in it) is probably picking up on the fact that Jack wrote the tracks to those first on his own and then she asked him to send them to her because she loved them so much so she then wrote songs to fit with the music and song over it which is different then the way she usually writes so it doesn't always mesh as well as the music and lyrics that were written at the same time but I actually think You are in love flows quite well for having been written that way. And she wrote it about Jack and Lena too which I think is really sweet.

http://www.raretaylorswift.webs.com

101989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:34 am

well it's definitly not her best and some songs have something missing. but i'm so relieved bc most songs are way better than i expected after the first three releases! even though i didn't like the pre-released songs, they fit in the album (though i'm still not a fan of them). i absoloutly love Clean, I Know Places and This Love. Also Blank Space and Style are really good! it's good to see that she took her time for a little self-reflection and finding herself. and i have a weakness for the three bonus songs. usually i don't really like the bonus tracks, but on this one i like them (maybe bc they sound like the good sweden pop songs Laughing ). bad blood is a solid pop song, BUT i always have the thematic of it in the back of my head... and the thematic that this is based on makes the song ridiculous and i'm not able to listen to it much. Wildest dreams could be a good song, but it somehow sounds like a pale imitation of lana del ray. i don't think there is a song on it that is 'really bad', there are just a lot that are forgettable every-day-pop-songs.

111989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:58 pm

Kate

Kate

Fearlyssa wrote:
Sadie wrote:My favorites atm are Style, I Know Places, Clean, and I Wish You Would. I applaud Taylor for trying something new, but it definitely isn't her strongest album. Bad blood is eh and I really don't like How You Get The Girl... Like, what on earth is it even about? :/
She wrote it as advise to her guy friends and friends boyfriends as to how to get their girlfriends back after they've done something wrong and ruined the relationship and their girlfriend's won't talk to them anymore but they want them back because whatever they did to them was just a mistake. It's not about anything that happene to her, she's just basically giving love advice to people. It's fun but I don't like it as much as I did on the Diet coke commercial because it really doesn't have that personal touch like others do but it's cute. And Kate, was that tape The Little Mermaid? lol Because the title kind of reminds me of Kiss the girl from The Little Mermaid. haha My favorites are Blank Space, This Love and Clean and Wonderland and You are in love on the deluxe version. Blank Space is my favorite on the deluxe version and You are in love is my favorite on the deluxe version and the album as a whole because it's so sweet and awesome! I knew it would be a favorite because of the title but I didn't expect it to be so soulful! It makes me want to find a love like that even though I already have a boyfriend! lol Anyone who doesn't like it or I wish you would (which I actually really like but I agree there's something a bit off about how fast she sings in it) is probably picking up on the fact that Jack wrote the tracks to those first on his own and then she asked him to send them to her because she loved them so much so she then wrote songs to fit with the music and song over it which is different then the way she usually writes so it doesn't always mesh as well as the music and lyrics that were written at the same time but I actually think You are in love flows quite well for having been written that way. And she wrote it about Jack and Lena too which I think is really sweet.

No, the tape was some Barbie thing I think, I just remember it was very girly, very dancy and very pink.

121989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:17 am

Sadie

Sadie

Fearlyssa wrote:
She wrote it as advise to her guy friends and friends boyfriends as to how to get their girlfriends back after they've done something wrong and ruined the relationship and their girlfriend's won't talk to them anymore but they want them back because whatever they did to them was just a mistake. It's not about anything that happene to her, she's just basically giving love advice to people. It's fun but I don't like it as much as I did on the Diet coke commercial because it really doesn't have that personal touch like others do but it's cute.

Ah, that makes more sense. I like it more now; it's catchy, but lyrically not that great. I think that's the biggest problem I have with 1989 — the lyrics generally aren't that fantastic. I still love it, though! Smile

131989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:09 pm

CatKearns23

CatKearns23

I love the whole album, but my favorites are Blank Space, You Are In Love, Wildest Dreams, Style, How You Get The Girl, and New Romantics. I was surprised by how many slow songs there are. Even though there were 4 (I like to think clean is slow), to be honest, I was only expecting like one if any.

141989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Fearlyssa

Fearlyssa
come feel this magic
come feel this magic

Cat21 wrote:I love the whole album, but my favorites are Blank Space, You Are In Love, Wildest Dreams, Style, How You Get The Girl, and New Romantics. I was surprised by how many slow songs there are. Even though there were 4 (I like to think clean is slow), to be honest, I was only expecting like one if any.
What's the 4th one you consider to be slow?I can only think of This love, Clean and You are in love.

151989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Kate

Kate

Fearlyssa wrote:
Cat21 wrote:I love the whole album, but my favorites are Blank Space, You Are In Love, Wildest Dreams, Style, How You Get The Girl, and New Romantics. I was surprised by how many slow songs there are. Even though there were 4 (I like to think clean is slow), to be honest, I was only expecting like one if any.
What's the 4th one you consider to be slow?I can only think of This love, Clean and You are in love.

Probably Wildest Dreams..

161989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:05 pm

Fearlyssa

Fearlyssa
come feel this magic
come feel this magic

Kate wrote:
Fearlyssa wrote:

Oh, yeah that one's slow too I forgot. lol

171989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:09 am

Signe

Signe
you're really gonna be someone
you're really gonna be someone

Hey everyone! (Haven't posted on here in forever...)

I honestly think the album is amazing. It's very pop (obviously) but the lyrics are incredibly mature (way better than some of Red's imo.) The way Rolling Stone described it was perfect- "it sounds exactly like Taylor Swift even though it's nothing she's ever done before." I also agree with Taylor that it's most definitely "sonically cohesive" and although the album is still great I do miss the huge range of sounds and genres on Red and Speak Now.

Welcome To New York, Blank Space, Bad Blood, Wildest Dreams, and I Know Places are my favorites but there's honestly not really a song that I dislike.
Can we just talk about the BONUS TRACKS THOUGH??!!? Wonderland and You Are In Love are literally my new favorite songs ever. I have mixed feelings about New Romantics- there's some things I LOVE about it and some things I hate, but overall it's a good song.

Welp that's my 2 cents. Good to be back Very Happy

http://raretaylortrades.webs.com

181989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:14 am

Vicki

Vicki
it's flawless, it's fearless
it's flawless, it's fearless

^ I completely agree with what you've said Signe (and it's wonderful to have you back!).
I really love 1989. I love how it's exploring new sounds and ideas but it's still very Taylor. For example, I Wish You Would would probably fit perfectly on Fearless if they changed the instrumentation a little. Pretty much every song is well written and has a great melody and is just perfect. I have so many favourites, but I Know Places, Out of the Woods, All You Had to Do Was Stay, This Love and Clean are probably my absolute favourite songs. And the deluxe bonus content! The 3 extra songs are awesome. I am endlessly in love with Wonderland, it's another one of my absolute favourites. And the voice memos! They're so interesting to me and I think the alternate lyrics in the I Know Places and Blank Space memos are awesome. And just her initial ideas...they're unrefined but in their own way they are so perfect.
I love this album so much.

191989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 pm

CatKearns23

CatKearns23

Fearlyssa wrote:
Kate wrote:
Fearlyssa wrote:

Oh, yeah that one's slow too I forgot. lol

Lol, yep! I count Wildest Dreams as a slow song

201989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:11 am

Sadie

Sadie

Signe wrote:Hey everyone! (Haven't posted on here in forever...)

I honestly think the album is amazing. It's very pop (obviously) but the lyrics are incredibly mature (way better than some of Red's imo.) The way Rolling Stone described it was perfect- "it sounds exactly like Taylor Swift even though it's nothing she's ever done before." I also agree with Taylor that it's most definitely "sonically cohesive" and although the album is still great I do miss the huge range of sounds and genres on Red and Speak Now.

Welcome To New York, Blank Space, Bad Blood, Wildest Dreams, and I Know Places are my favorites but there's honestly not really a song that I dislike.
Can we just talk about the BONUS TRACKS THOUGH??!!? Wonderland and You Are In Love are literally my new favorite songs ever. I have mixed feelings about New Romantics- there's some things I LOVE about it and some things I hate, but overall it's a good song.

Welp that's my 2 cents. Good to be back Very Happy

I agree completely. In particular, i find OOTW and Clean to be really mature. And I don't think you'd find a lyric like "He says what you've heard is true but I can't stop thinking about you, and I said I've been there too a few times" on any of her previous albums.

211989 Review Empty Re: 1989 Review Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Fearlyssa

Fearlyssa
come feel this magic
come feel this magic

That's what she said, that she wouldn't put that line on any of her other albums because it's admitting to her own mistakes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum